Cook Chinese...: Carmelized Walnuts Cook Chinese...

Cook Chinese...

Monday, February 05, 2007

Carmelized Walnuts

Glazed walnuts are used as garnish or additon to many chinese dishes. But it may also serve as a great snack or elevenses. One way or another - here is recipe to prepare it:

Ingredients:
1 cup walnut halves
4 tbsp vegetable oil
4 tbsp sugar

Preparation:
Toast walnut halves over medium heat in vegetable oil and sugar until caramelized.

The edges might get a little brown- but that's normal.

Variations:
Instead of sugar you may also use honey. Just mind to not sear it.
You can use brown sugar if you like.
Oil can be replaced with butter.
A little pinch of cinnamon is tasty addition to your elevenses.

4 Comments:

  • You know, I've never thought of carmelizing walnuts! Now you've got me thinking...


    Ari (Baking and Books)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:03 PM  

  • I first met carmelized walnuts when I was in Italy - they have it either carmelized or just coated in honey. Recipe is simplest of all - take walnuts & put it into honey jar :}

    By Blogger Voidan, at 12:34 AM  

  • I do those sometimes but I had no idea what was Chinese, I always thought it was Polish :)...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:55 PM  

  • It's rather multinational right now - mostly of it's simplicity, I think. In my house we eat walnuts in honey most often - great taste without any afford :)

    By Blogger Voidan, at 10:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home